The Larimer County Genealogical Society is a wonderful organization with many dedicated volunteers that contribute their time to promote its mission. If you have some free time and would like to contribute, there are plenty of volunteer opportunities for members of the Society.
Looking for an Archival Chair, Publicity Chair and helper, and Study Group Facilitator: Please contact LCGS President or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested!
All of the positions require a computer and an Internet connection to our various accounts.
Here are the job descriptions for these needed positions:
POSITION: Archival Chair
1. The Archival Chair may make recommendations to the Board regarding the procedures of archiving the Society’s material. This will include categorizing or indexing items kept permanently, kept for a specific period time or disposing of those that may no longer be needed. This retention schedule will be supplemental to the retention schedule required by law set forth in paragraph 6.
2. The Chair is required to submit an annual budget to the Finance Committee in September or when notified for the following year.
3. The Chair shall submit an annual inventory of property valued over $50, including digital data, to the Director-at-Large on the society’s approved Inventory control form by March 1.
4. At least once, annually by February, the Chair will determine and report to the Board if officers and committee chairs have provided the items required for archiving. These items include, but are not limited to, the following:
January Annual Meeting Minutes including board election results;
A current version of the Procedures Manual, if revisions have been made;
Financial and Treasurer reports, including a final Year-End Financial Report
Copies of Society Publications and CDs;
Copies of all documents relating to our Non-Profit Status; and
Copies of any membership surveys.
5. The items specified in paragraph 4 and elsewhere in these Procedures Manual or Bylaws shall be retained by the Archival Committee and stored in a location approved by the Board.
6. Any records required to be archived shall be placed in an electronic/digital storage location approved by the Board. Digital storage as provided in this paragraph is deemed compliance with archival requirements.
7. At a time determined by the Board, the Recording Secretary will submit to the Archival Chair the previous year’s Board and Annual membership meeting minutes and all attachments acted upon.
POSITION: Study Groups Coordinator
1. The Study Group Coordinator (Coordinator), will assist the Study Group Facilitators (Facilitators), with any needs or problems, and offer support in any other ways deemed helpful.
2. Upon request, the Coordinator may advise Facilitators in setting up email lists, announcements, dates and places for meetings, and record-keeping but is not responsible for these tasks. The Study Group should find volunteers for such within its group.
3. The Coordinator will periodically communicate with groups and the LCGS membership noting any resources that may be of collective interest.
4. The Coordinator will remind Facilitators to have a supply of membership brochures available at each meeting or activity for guests. No pressure to join LCGS shall be made, but guests shall be invited to become new members. Other brochures or flyers on upcoming programs and events should also be available to all study group attendees. Facilitators shall request brochures and flyers from the Publications chair.
5. A record of attendees at study group activities indicating LCGS members and guests shall be kept. Numbers of attendees and guests shall be reported to the Coordinator each month. Facilitators are encouraged to obtain emails and other contact information from guests, but this is not required. Contact information for guests shall be forwarded to the Corresponding Secretary, preferably after each activity or meeting for follow-up.
6. No fee shall be required for attendance. No fee shall be requested from attendees for materials unless previously approved by the President or Board of LCGS. Minimal materials or copy expenses shall be previously requested from the Coordinator or the Treasurer.
GUIDELINES FOR STUDY GROUP FACILITATORS
The Study Group Facilitator will provide oversight and assistance to his/her Study Group and report any needs, problems, or suggestions to the Coordinator.
o Set up email lists
o Send announcements
o Arrange dates and places for meetings
o Keep attendance and other records as needed and send to Coordinator and Corresponding Secretary
o Find volunteers to help with internal processes
o Meet periodically with the other Study Group Leaders and Coordinator
o Distribute LCGS membership brochures and other materials pertinent to the group
Facilitators may copy and distribute materials. Minimal materials or copy expenses shall be previously requested through the Coordinator.
No pressure to join LCGS shall be made, but guests shall be invited to become new members.
No fee shall be required for attendance.
No fee shall be requested from attendees for materials unless previously approved by the President or Board of LCGS.
POSITION: Publicity Chair and Committee
1. The general purpose of this Chair and committee is to publicize the Society. The Publicity Chair and Committee should work with other persons and committees, such as the Education Committee, the vice-president, the Web Chair, the Board and other persons, as needed, to publicize programs, classes, workshops, and other activities that benefit members or the public or enhances the objectives of the Society.
2. The Chair will update the Society’s website calendar for programs, classes, workshops, and other activities.
3. The Chair may also notify local newspapers of upcoming programs and other activities as public service announcements.
4. The Chair shall maintain a list of organizations that notices of the monthly general membership meeting are sent to. Changes to this list shall be sent to the person maintaining the applicable database.
5. The Chair will maintain a list for the Distribution of Membership Brochures and Program Flyers indicating what locations or events will receive what information, in what format, and who will deliver or send the information.
6. The Chair shall administer, maintain, and update the Society’s Facebook page with Society and genealogical content with general direction from the Board or President and technical direction from the Web Chair.
7. The Chair will send out email notices to the membership regarding details on the monthly general membership meeting and any other notices as requested by the Board of Directors, President, or a Committee Chair.
8. The Chair should review the duties that are enumerated in the Standards section of this Manual.
9. The Chair is required to submit an annual budget to the Finance Committee in September
or when notified for the following year.
10. Submit an annual inventory of property valued over $50, including digital data, to the Director-at-Large on society’s approved Inventory Control form by March 1.
But We Need Your Help!
Thank you for visiting our website!